Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How Perfectly Charming

My friend's mom asked me to help her put together something for a Princess Ball she is going to. She doesn't want to be a princess, though, she wants to be Prince Charming. Since it is one of the greatest things I've been asked in a while, I jumped at the chance. Here are two options that are a bit more workplace appropriate.

Prince Charming for the Athletic Shape


The trick with athletic shapes is to remember that without a lot of curves, you need to add some interest to keep from looking like an upright log. (I think my PNW sensibilities are showing with the end of that last sentence, I seem to have lumberjacks on the brain.) Anyhow, back to the topic at hand! I love bright slacks, in the Spring and Summer. They are cheerful, they are fun, and they keep an outfit looking fashion forward. Cropped slacks are a nice nod to warm weather while still being on the more conservative side. You can pear them with pumps, though my personal preference is ballet flats. Here I went with a pair of feminine loafers in a shiny gold, since this is Prince Charming. Admittedly, in the 1950's cartoon this is based on, he paired brain shoes with his red pants and cream top. I am still offended by this.

The bright slacks need to be paired with something not quite as eye-blinding up top, but you don't want the pants to overshadow the rest of your outfit. The soft yellow (Maurices calls it Custard) top I chose is not only pleasantly draped on the neck, it is also ruched down the sides, giving some extra shape to the body and creating curves that might not be there without it. I went with a simple, tiered chain necklace because it followed the drapes in the skirt, but was a strong and simple enough piece to stand out without overpowering the rest of the outfit and give a nod to the blinged cords Prince Charming wore.

For the jacket, because you can't skip that part since it's what most people remember about him, I wanted something with clean lines that would stop at the hips. I found the most darling jacket from Germany and a bit obsessed. Simple lines, champagne and gold brocade with the same gold edging, zip front for that straight line closure I was searching for, and a hint of flare at the hips to help give added shape to the silhouette.

Accessorizing for Prince Charming is easy. Gold. Lots and lots of gold. Well, I say lots and lots but let's be real, I think less is more and am not usually a fan of gold, so a belt, a little clutch, a couple rings and a bracelet is more than enough, some people wouldn't think that was anywhere close to lots and lots. I picked the clutch with the little tassels because it was a touch whimsical and made me happy. Everyone needs a bit of whimsy in their life. keep your hair simple. Pull it back in a ponytail or bun and call it good. If you have short hair, don't over style it, leave it down or slick it back. Stick to more natural makeup, maybe a hint of blue at the eyes, and you are ready to chase down some crazy lady who loses her shoe and doesn't bother coming back for it.

Prince Charming for the Athletic shape - 2


This one is a bit more dressy, but you can still get away with it at work. If you found more of a matte gold top it would tone down the outfit a lot, but I like shiny things.

I think everyone should have a nice maxi skirt in their closet, they are easy to dress up and down, flattering on most figures, and wonderful on hot Summer days. The pleating in this skirt give some added draping to the hips, adding curves where you didn't have much, and making your legs look a bit longer. Remember to hem your skirts. It might seem silly, but you do not want your skirt dragging on the ground while you walk. It will make you look shorter than you are, ruin the bottom of the skirt, and drag the skirt down as you wear it all day because it will catch on things. Hem it. To make you look really leggy swap out the flats for heels. Personally, as stated before, I love ballet flats. I commute by bus and as such tend to live in flats.

I went with more champagne and cream in this one, the skirt being so vibrant. The top is a sequined tank top, another fun item to have in your closet to dress up practically any outfit. Since it doesn't add a lot of shape to the torso on it's own I added a short sleeved bolero, the curve of the front will make your waist look a bit more nipped in and help give the illusion of curves. Note that this outfit does not have a necklace. That is because of the loudness of the shirt. Adding a necklace would take it overboard.

Just because a shirt is loud, though, doesn't mean you shouldn't still accessorize. I couldn't resist the tasseled chandelier earrings I found. They have that crazy art deco feeling I love. A nice cuff and a couple of pretty rings, all gold because that is Prince Charming's color scheme, and you are good to go. The same gold clutch, because I love how much it reminds me of the gold envelope that was sent with the invitation to the ball. It's the little things, after all, that really make the outfit a winner. Again, keep your hair simple, keep your makeup natural, and enjoy the day. Maybe, since it's summer, add your favorite sunglasses as well.

Til next time,

Stevie

No comments:

Post a Comment