Friday, February 13, 2015

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

So those that know me know I am an avid cosplayer. Like anyone, sometimes I get up in my head and surround myself with negative "what if"s now and then. Recently it was over the Wasp costume I'm working on. I am, by no means, petite. I'm 5'6, a bit overweight, and have a lot of muscle. It took me a day or so to get over that, but I'm good now.

If you want to dress up like your favorite character, do it. It doesn't matter what race, size, or sex you are; what matters is that you are having fun. That's the first rule of cosplay. Enjoy yourselves! And if you ever get up in your head the way I do in mine, let me know. I will happily remind you that you can do and be anything you want.

With that in mind, here is your Valentine's Day issue of Sneaky Geeky Fashions - with one of my personal heroes, Jessica Rabbit.

Jessica Rabbit for the Slender Athletic


Jessica is tall, curvy, and drawn for sin. Sadly, most of us in the real world are not drawn that way. Though I admit, when I first saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit I had to have been about seven, I wanted to be Jessica Rabbit. Mostly it was because of the bear trap hidden in her cleavage. Still my favorite moment in that movie. Thankfully, my love of Jessica Rabbit is shared with my Amazon Queen, and she requested that I do an outfit for the non hourglass shaped ladies out there.

I love skater dresses. I love how they are shaped and that they have movement which makes them fun to look at. It is also a dress style that looks good on most people, though remember that it is all in the details. This one, with the wide shoulder pieces that come to a point and the light gathering around the neck widens the shoulders. The bad at the waist keeps the dress snug to your figure, and let's the skirt add the volume to your hips. Voila, insta-hourglass!

But it's really not fun if you do the dress and nothing else, and let's be honest, I do this because it's fun.

A sleeveless bolero helps make the waist look a little smaller, the shoulders look a little bigger, and because of how it scoops up in the front, it draws the eye to a bust that might not usually be the first thing people notice about you. You can pair this with sheer nylons so the skirt doesn't stick and so those adorable ModCloth heels don't get uncomfortable halfway through the day. I have a mad love for Modcloth shoes, in case you haven't noticed from the number of times they appear on my blog.

The number one thing to remember about the Jessica Rabbit look is the peekaboo bang. If you can't pull that off, a side part with your hair pulled back (say with a rose?) will do the trick. Also, you need to remember purple eye shadow and match the red of your dress to a red lipstick if you can. Anyone can do a red lip, you just have to find the right shade. To keep the luster on the lips, put chap stick on, then your foundation over that, and then put your lipstick on. It will make it pop so nicely. Jewelry can be anything in violet or red, though I like violets and bunnies, myself. The rabbit purse might be a little too whimsical for some workplaces, but it's great if you are looking for a professional outfit to wear at a convention.


Jessica Rabbit for the Plus Size Hourglass


This is for one of my very best friends, Nano, who would much prefer I did a Xena outfit for her instead. Xena isn't Valentine-y enough, though, so she is stuck with Jessica for now. Mostly because she looks ridiculously amazing in red.

I love a pencil skirt on a woman with hips. This is not a secret, it's more like an obsession, probably because I lack hips of my own. Anyhow, my point is, if you have curves, you need to rock them. I don't care what size you are. Nano rocks her curves like nobodies business, and as such I wanted to make sure I did that here. So here is this dress, cut for a woman with an hourglass figure, thick enough that if you want to wear some smoothing undergarments they won't show through, and in a perfect shade of red.

Sure, the dress is work appropriate (unless you are like me and have tattoos that may need to be covered up) and sexy, but it's a bit naughty librarian on it's own. Pair it with a blazer, purple for Jessica Rabbit, black if you want to use it for Harley Quinn some time in the future. Someone with an hourglass shape can look bigger than they really are if their clothing doesn't fit right. You don't want to get a blazer that is boxy or hangs to low. If you find one you love that fits shoulders, the girls, and hips, go get it tailored so that it will also nip in at your waist and show off your bombshell curves.

The big points on Jessica Rabbit is the hair, a peekaboo bang is a little outdated though, so side part and pull back a bit - Jessica loved red roses so that's what I am working with. Also it gives a nice nod to the forties bombshell look, as well. Cute ModCloth heels (I know, I know, I have a fixation with shoes) help make your legs look longer, though you might want to go with some sheer stockings to keep it classy. Stick to purples for your eye shadow and a berry lip, it's the details that make the outfit, such as black and white heels, black blazer, and a black and color blocked purse to make this dress Harley Quinn appropriate.


The main point about this is that anyone can be Jessica Rabbit, doesn't matter what size or shape you are. Cosplay is for everyone, fandoms are for anyone who loves something, and geekery is universal, whether you realize it or not.

Much love,

Stevie

No comments:

Post a Comment